Friday, April 8, 2011

Is Google making us Stupid?

Nicholas Carr (2008, July/August) Is google making us stupid? Atlantic Magazine

link:   http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2008/07/is-google-making-us-stupid/6868/


The internet has changed the way we think and process information. Our brain is constantly adapting and constantly changing from our internet learning habits. The intenet holds everything we use on a daily basis all wrapped up in one easy to use machine. Our attention never seems to be focused on one thing. Rather, we are always multitasking or waiting for something else to catch our attention. The internet is the biggest influence on our minds. Google thinks that we should all have an artificial intelligence hooked up to our brain so we would have access to all the world’s information at once. I don’t agree with this. The things that separate us from the machines are ethics, common sense, experience, and judgment. Also I don’t like the fact that the internet is always trying to distract us. Its hard to focus on something important when there are blinking adds and pop ups. I think that we might be relying on machines and computers too much. I want to be in control of the way I think and the way I live my life, not a machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment